The "heroine chic" of the nineties changed the way of a healthy lifestyle and sports. If a few decades ago the model was thin enough to look good, then the modern standard is a fit and sporty figure. However, regular exercise in the gym requires time, which not every woman hasYes, strict diets that promise to lose 10 pounds a month is by no means a universal remedy. But how to lose weight without diet and exercise? Do not believe those who say it is impossible. Perhaps if you approach weight normalization wisely.
How to calculate your body mass index and why you need it
If you are looking for a way to lose weight without dieting, the first thing you need to do is calculate your BMI - body mass index. This is necessary in order to objectively assess the weight, figure and correctly set goal. The desire to lose weight without BMI will be vague, vague because you do not know your optimal weight.
Body mass index is a conditional value created by physicians to measure a person's weight. This is the ratio between body weight and height. Calculate using the formula: Weight in kilograms divided by height in meters squared. For example, your height is 170 cm, that is 1, 7 m, that is, we multiply 1, 7 by 1, 7 and we get 2, 89 meters squared. Let's say your current weight is 75 kg. So to calculate BMI, you have to divide 75 by 2. 89. Turns out 25. 95. This is your body mass index.
We compare this figure with the interpretation of the World Health Organization. Please note that there may be other ways of interpreting BMI online, but they are questionable. Focus on WHO Assessment:
- 16 and less - significant lack of mass;
- 16-18, 5 - Insufficient body weight;
- 18, 5-25 - norm;
- 25-30 - Excess weight;
- 30-35 - first degree of obesity;
- 35-40 - second degree of obesity;
- 40 and above - severe obesity.
So 25. 95 is the lower limit of "excess weight". That is, you do not need to lose so much to the norm: 5 kg. If you lose 10 kg, the weight will still be within the medical norm. Therefore, you can set yourself such a goal.
But what if your BMI is already in the 20-22 range? This means that you do not really have to lose weight. Of course, body mass index does not take into account facial skin characteristics, you may not have enough muscle tissue or light bones. However, if your BMI is below normal after weight loss, it is best not to risk your health and not to chase the skinny. When at the same time you are unhappy with your figure, it may be not the weight but the need to strengthen the muscles.
If your BMI is 30 and above, then you should definitely consult an endocrinologist before losing weight. Because most likely, you need medical help to normalize your weight.
This should not be forgotten
- Do not use automatic BMI calculators, calculate the index yourself. Some calculators deliberately magnify the results to force you to buy goods and services presented on the same site.
- Remember that BMI is an approximate value, the index does not take into account many parameters such as facial skin characteristics, skeletal weight, even sex and age. Therefore, take BMI as a guide, but not as the ultimate truth.
- For a more accurate assessment of your condition, use a special device to determine the percentage of adipose tissue in the body. This figure will give you a more accurate idea of how many kilograms you need to lose weight and whether you need to lose weight at all. Because 75 kg of muscle is not necessarily the same as 75 kg of adipose tissue.
Causes of weight gain
To determine how you can lose weight without dieting, you need to understand the reasons for weight gain. It's one thing to eat a whole chocolate cake every night before bed. It is a different matter if you suffer from endocrine diseases, lead a sedentary lifestyle and do not sleep regularly. So what are the causes of weight gain?
- Unbalanced diet. The only way to get an objective picture of your diet is to record what you eat and when you eat it. Sounds boring, but otherwise your opinion on your own diet will not be objective. You may feel like you are not eating much, but in practice you will lose sight of a lot of food or high-calorie alcohol. Therefore, keep a nutrition diary for a week or two, then re-read and evaluate how healthy your diet can be.
- Eating Disorder. A nutrition diary can help you identify this problem as well, but an eating disorder is a serious medical problem that you can not deal with on your own. You will need the help of a specialized endocrinologist and psychotherapist for eating disorders. Possible symptoms of the disorder are feelings of guilt after eating, eating without hunger, alternating with a strict diet "breaking down", discomfort while eating with others, and so on.
- Sedentary lifestyle. Maybe your diet is in order, but you exercise very little. Assessing your own activity during the day will help with special apps or a regular pedometer on your smartphone.
- Regular lack of sleep and chronic stress. Unfortunately, insomnia can be the cause of many health problems, and indirectly it can be a stimulus for the development of diabetes. In addition, the body tired of insomnia uses food as an additional source of energy, so you eat more.
- Endocrine disorders. Metabolic syndrome, type 2 diabetes, PCOS is not a complete list of disorders that can be accompanied by weight gain. Assess your physical and emotional state: Are there any other symptoms that indicate health problems?
Find out the reason to determine how you can lose weight at home without dieting. Avoid the cause of excess weight: consult a doctor and seek treatment if necessary. If you do not get enough sleep, try changing your sleep / wake schedule. It is not necessary to exercise hard to improve a sedentary lifestyle. Sometimes it is enough to walk regularly, to walk in the fresh air.
This should not be forgotten
- If you have gained more than 5 kg in a month, but your diet and lifestyle have not changed, it is necessary to consult a therapist and endocrinologist. You almost certainly have a medical problem.
- If you do not complain about your health, but still decide to discuss weight loss with a specialist, it should be a certified doctor and not a fitness trainer, trainer or person who sells "weight loss marathons" online. The human body is a very complex system and sometimes even medical education. Not enough to give good advice about weight loss. Athletes, models, fitness enthusiasts in these matters can not be considered "professions".
How to lose weight without dieting
Oddly enough, but the first thing you need to do to lose weight is to hide the scales in the pantry. You do not need to weigh yourself every day, even if you can. Once a week is enough. Regular weighing causes neurosis, extra stress and this prevents weight normalization.
To get in shape without dieting and strenuous exercise you will need to change your lifestyle. Yes, it is not easy, but it is an existing lifestyle that has led to your body gaining excess weight. In addition, you will not only lose weight, but you will generally feel better if you try to lead a healthy lifestyle. What does this mean?
Even in the case of a healthy lifestyle, it is necessary to consult a doctor in a timely manner. Regardless of whether your health problems affect your figure or not. Beyond daily worries it can be difficult to find the time and money to go to the doctor, but this is the most important task. Your health and well-being should come first.
A healthy lifestyle is a good night's rest. Getting enough sleep advice is easier said than done, especially if you work a lot and have children in the family. However, 8 hours of sleep is half of health. Try to always make a choice in favor of sleep. Did you wake up two hours before jogging or go to bed before work? Get enough sleep. Do you sleep long or take a walk in the city at night? Sleep more.
A healthy lifestyle is moderate physical activity. We are not talking about grueling exercises. However, lack of movement damages the spine, nervous and endocrine systems. Take a walk every day, pick up simple home exercises for morning or evening workouts. Find a form of physical activity that you enjoy and that can become part of your routine. It can be long walks, jogging, yoga, dancing, active outdoor games - everything as much as you like movement.
Finally, in order to lose weight without dieting, you will need to reconsider your approach to nutrition. A balanced diet is not synonymous with a low calorie diet. On the contrary, it gives you enough energy, but does not help you gain weight.
Principles of a balanced diet
- The basis of the diet is cereals, legumes, vegetables and fruits, and meat products should be less than a third of the ration. Add nuts, seeds, herbs to your diet.
- Reduce alcohol, sweets, rich, fatty, smoked and fried foods. If you can not completely give up on these products, enjoy them in small portions and not every day. Let them be a nice exception, but not a rule in the diet.
- Gradually reduce the amount of sugar. Sugar is an excellent source of energy, but it raises blood glucose and also diminishes the pleasure of other foods.
- Eat 5 times a day. Unexpected, right? In order to lose weight without any homemade diet, you need to eat more often, not less often. Do not miss meals: Breakfast, lunch, dinner and at least two snacks in between. However, the parts should not be too large.
- Try to eat the most high-calorie foods in the morning. If you want to enjoy yourself with a cookie or a piece of chocolate, do it in the morning. Dinner should be light.
- Do not eat for two hours before bedtime. Allow your body to absorb food before bed.
- Do not miss breakfast. This is the main meal, the lack of a full breakfast often pushes you to overeat at lunch and lunch or break down fast food and sweets.
- Do not starve. There is an opinion among those who want to lose weight that the most effective way to lose weight is to arrange hunger for the body. It is harmful, ineffective and in the long run threatens overeating as well as metabolic disorders.
Avoid alcohol - they are high in calories and cause a feeling of hunger. Replace fried dishes on a pan or in the oven. Fried, greasy, smoked rare delicacy on the table. For snacks you can get sugar-free yogurt, fruits, nuts, whole grain bread sandwiches. But avoid all kinds of fast food if you want to lose weight without diet and exercise.
Common Mistakes in Weight Loss
The worst mistake you can make when losing weight is to try to lose weight fast. A normal, healthy rate of weight loss is 2-5 kg per month. If you lose weight faster, it is stressful for the body. In addition to being unhealthy, the future is also full of what the lost mass will bring back and it is possible that you will gain even more weight. Moreover, over time, radical diets and exercises stop working: even during starvation, the body does not lose fat tissue. In order not to get into this situation, do not try to lose weight fast.
The second common mistake is to completely reject fats. Fats are an integral part of the diet. However, give preference to vegetable fats over animal fats and make sure their share in the menu is low.
The third mistake is to drastically reduce calories. For example, a person calculates the optimal number of calories and drastically reduces the portions. However, scientific studies have shown that it is impossible to reduce the diet by more than 20% of normal calories. Therefore, even if you eat too much, gradually reduce the calories.